About Me

My photo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Determination, Real, Efforts, and Abilities, Means Success! D.R.E.A.M.S

Friday, December 14, 2012

The New Mr. 30,000




In sports ‘real’ milestones occur every so often.  And they are often made a big deal.  This recent milestone has only four NBA players who have reached the 30,000-point club.  Kobe Bryan is the newest.  Kobe Bryant’s legacy amongst the basketball greats will always be debated around the league, and in barbershops.  At the age of 34 years old, Bryant is the youngest to reach this mark.  However, it took him the longest to achieve such a mark.   

Making the jump from high school to the NBA, by far the best to ever do it, has allowed him the most opportunity to pursue this record.  Now, with him playing in his 17th season with the Lakers, he will truly go down as one of the greatest Lakers of all time.  I’m sure that too will be debated.  The other NBA greats that Bryant joins in the 30,000-point club are Chamberlain, “The Captain” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, “The Mail-Man” Karl Malone, and His Airiness Michael Jordan.  Those five I’ll match up against any five you can get any day!

What makes this more remarkable is that Bryant’s numbers are up even at this age.  Yes, the Lakers’ season hasn't gone as planned, thus far, but Kobe has seemed to be improving.  His free-throw attempts are higher, and the stat that stands out to me the most is he is assisting on a higher percentage of his teammates baskets.  That means he’s passing the ball more.  I’m sure Bryant would like to see more wins and championship rings to catch Jordan, and his six.

I notice Bryant’s skills are far from declining.  That’s great for Lakers fans, maybe not so great for other teams around the league.  The rumors of him retiring are no longer heard of.  I think those retiring rumors only had legs because Bryant seemed to struggle throughout last year.

Bryant had this to say on joining this elite group

“I really just love what I do. I just have a passion for it. I thoroughly enjoy it and this is my 17th year but for some reason that passion hasn't gone down.  It’s been quite the opposite and I really have no explanation for it; it’s actually increased.
I have so much love for the game and I just enjoy working hard and doing what I do best”    

It’s not surprising that Bryant spoke about working hard.  He has a work habit second to none of any current NBA player. He truly has no off season. 
Will Bryant win another ring or two, catch Kareem for the all-time scoring leader, and more importantly keep his sanity with this current Lakers roster? Only time will tell and if we know anything about Kobe Bryant he will down taking a shot. 

Until next time live, out your DREAMS with some Determination, put forth Real Efforts and given your Abilities; Means you will have Success. 


No comments:

Post a Comment